April 20, 2021
How to Cleanse the Energy in your Space using Incense
Cleaning your space energetically can be as important to your well-being as cleaning it physically. Cleansing regularly can help improve the energetic flow in your space and help introduce more positive energy into your home. You can easily cleanse the energy in your space in a few short minutes with the help of your favorite incense.
When you need to clear the energy in your space:
- When you’re in a funk or having a bad day: Negative energy in your home may be feeding those feelings.
- If you were just sick: Along with the stress of feeling under the weather, the physical condition carries negative energy into the space around you.
- Following a breakup or loss: Clearing during heartache or grief can help you to process pain and move forward.
- After arguing with your partner: You said some things. They said some things. Now that the disagreement is over, it’s time to clear the air—literally.
- During any major life transition (think a new job, partnership, or pets/ babies arriving): Clearing out the old creates space for the new energy these things bring.
- When you’re feeling stuck: If you want to improve your life and haven’t made progress, it might be time to question whether your home is keeping you stuck in the past.
How to remove negative energy in your space
- Open a window in each room you are cleansing to give the smoke and negative energy a place to escape.
- Have positive thoughts, prayers, mantras, affirmations, and intentions in mind to say while cleansing. These can be said out loud or silently to yourself. For example: “I cleanse this room of all negative energy and fill it with light and love.”
- Move clockwise throughout the space you want to purify, moving around the edge while waving the incense up and down near the walls and up into the corners of the room while repeating your positive affirmations from the previous step.
- Repeat as needed. You can cleanse your space as often as you feel is necessary (whether that’s seasonal, monthly, weekly or even daily).
It’s always a good idea to cleanse your space anytime you feel like negativity has entered your home. And, as a bonus, it replaces any stale odors with a lovely earthy scent.
It’s suggested that you cleanse yourself first before cleansing your physical space in order to prepare your own energy to purify the energy around you. You can do this yourself by simply waving your incense from side to side, starting with your feet and moving up towards your head, working from the front of your body to the back.
How does this energy clearing work?
Ancient cultures around the world engaged in the practice of burning herbs and resins to eliminate negative energies from themselves and their surroundings. The practice of burning sage and other herbs has now been proven to have scientific merit, due to the release of negative ions into the atmosphere which research has linked to more positive moods and an overall sense of relief and wellbeing.
Negative ions are odorless, tasteless, and invisible molecules that we inhale in abundance when in particular environments. These environments can be naturally occurring such as the mountains, or in areas where there is an abundance of water – such as at the beach or by a waterfall. We can also manufacture these environments within our homes through the burning of natural herbs and resins.
Once these molecules are inhaled and absorbed into our bloodstream, these negative ions produce biochemical reactions that increase levels of serotonin, a mood chemical that helps to alleviate depression, relieve stress, and even boost energy. In studies of people suffering from chronic, as well as seasonal depression, negative ion generators were proven to relieve depression as much as prescription antidepressants.
What a good feeling it is to know that even if you don’t have access to mountains, or natural bodies of water, you can still enjoy and obtain the benefits of negative ions and eliminate negative energy from your home and person simply by keeping with ancient tradition and burning natural herbs and resins!